03 February 2009

The only downside...

Tamils want to have their own country.

They call it the Dravidian Movement. (Tamil is a language descended from Dravidian, while other Indian languages are descended from Sanskrit.)

And apparently they feel a bond of brotherhood with the Liberation Tamil Tigers of Eelam (LTTE) the Tamil separatist group in northern Sri Lanka that is fighting a bloody war with the government of Sri Lanka, and Buddhist civilians in Colombo.

In solidarity with the LTTE (I was told this evening, over dinner) a young man in Tamil Nadu set himself on fire last week.

Tomorrow is designated a protest day. People who don't go to work are people who believe fiercely in the Dravidian Movement. People that do go should not take public transportation.

I wish I could charge the battery for my camera. Alas.

2 comments:

  1. PS. I didn't see any chaos, mobs, or outrage on the streets of Madurai today. WTF?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, that sounds *really* intense.

    ReplyDelete