I met a boy at lunch today who, upon discovering my history with Harvard, told me that there was a school at Harvard called the John F. Kennedy School.
I told him I used to work there. To me, it was an office, where I got sweet benefits and got to see great lectures. But an office nonetheless.
He told me their international development program was very hard to get into.
I agreed.
You need three full courses in calculus at the university level. They didn't offer that in his undergraduate work, or his previous masters, or his current master's at the Tata-DHAN Academy, which provides a practice-oriented education for development professionals.
He told me that he couldn't just sign up for the courses at a local university. He'd half to apply and be accepted and pay for another master's in mathematics in order to get those course.
Beyond the words we shared, was the look in this kid's eyes. A mix of hope, desperation. As though he did not dare to dream that dream, but at the same time, like he just couldn't shake it.
I hope he goes, someday.
My version of “Eggs in Purgatory”
4 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment